I have actually kind of missed updating all 35-ish of you (Hi mom!) who read this blog.
That said, PERU WAS GREAT. This whole summer has been great. Traveling is great. This world of ours is amazing.
But you know what? So is being home, and having a routine, an sleeping in your own bed with your own special pillow.
Anyhow, this is just a quick update to get me going again on the whole blogging thing.
I’ve decided that for the rest of this year, I’ll be posting on Mondays and Thursdays! The reasoning for this: I’ve actually been working on a few of my fiction writing projects, and I want to make sure I am leaving time for that work. I’ll keep doing my Marathon Training Mondays (COMING AT YOU THIS MONDAY WITH SOME TRAVEL RUNNING DEETS) as well as a book review/travel update/playlist/whatever on Thursdays. I’m sure I’ll feel inspired to post extra updates every once in a while, but for now I’m excited to be feeling inspired enough to pick up old fiction projects that I’ve been avoiding for months.
So, today is also my 30th birthday!
Being 30 is weird because I feel like too many of us set 30 as our deadline for getting, like, everything done in our lives. When I was about 20, though, I started to push back on this. I watched too many of the women in my life let themselves be pushed around by what they believed the “right path” to be. Like, what? The guys we went to college with surely weren’t flipping about about these things. Not that I want to live like a dude in their 20s. (have you seen the state of their bathrooms?!?) But I also didn’t want to wait until retirement to tackle my dreams.
My 20’s have been pretty wonderful. I’ve built a career and a life that is (most of the time) rewarding and impactful. I’ve made great friends. I lived in NYC, like my 14-year-old-self dreamed of, before I came on home to Boston. I’ve traveled to 10 different countries on three different continents. I’ve run marathons, something I put on my bucket list at 15 and thought might be impossible after my thyroid cancer diagnosis at 18. I’ve given and received so much love. I’ve had my heart broken, mended it back up, and marveled at the fact that no matter what I can always, always heal.
Every year I make some goals for myself. This year is no different. Some of these goals seem small, but for me they’re steps towards the life I have decided to write for myself. So here goes nothing…
- Work on my fiction writing more often
- Track my expenses more closely
- Visit 1 new country
- Buy less takeout
- Finish scrapbooking all my trips
- Weight Lift 2x per week
- Run 2 marathons
- Stretch consistently
- Reach out to 5 old friends
- Find a haircut that actually works for me (rather than just letting my hair be waist-length all the time)
- Watch less, read more
- Complete NaNoWriMo again
- Go to ballet class more often (I only went once in the last year so…)
- Decide what I want to do with the next chapter in my life (Considering a doctorate…)
- Spend less time on social media
- Work on my Spanish
- Read at least 2 “classic” novels
- Visit PEI (Hardcore Anne of Green Gables fan over here)
- Take a course (cooking, photography, ect.)
- Buy less fast fashion, more quality pieces
- Go off social media for a whole month (Planning to do this for September)
- Journal every night
- Go Camping
- Refurbish that bookshelf I got at a yard sale months ago that has been sitting in my parent’s garage ever since.
- Go whale watching
- Meditate regularly
- Learn some basic Code
- Visit Martha’s Vineyard and/or Nantucket because as a Massachusetts native it is a disgrace that I have been to neither.
- Try shrimp, which I have been avoiding for 30 years.
- Be kinder to myself
I’ll see you back here on Monday for a running update, and then again NEXT Thursday for more about my trip to Peru!